Are you guys thinking of trying for a tot yet? You are? Great! I guess if you increase your fertility naturally you’ll be less prone to need medication or fertility treatments which are usually very costly and fairly invasive. Even if you do need the treatments, I believe these ideas can truly help to make the treatments more successful as well. Here are some ideas:
· Work out when you are most fertile. Obviously if you realize when you’re fertile, then you know when the best time is to have sex and your probabilities of getting pregnant improve. You’ll also get better at knowing when to expect ‘that time of the month’ – which will help you to note when you’re late! Every morning you wake up; measure your temperature as this can help you to know when you ovulate. After recording these numbers for about 3 months you’ll be able to tell when you are ovulating since your waking temperature (or basal body temperature) increases at this time. Your body has other signs to show when you are ovulating. For instance, your cervical mucus goes transparent and elastic like egg white.
· Have lots of sex.
· Get into position. Different sexual positions allow for differing degrees of penetration and so some positions are especially good for getting pregnant. You require all the support you can get when you’re trying for a little one so let gravity work with you and not against you by avoiding positions with the woman on top. Try the man-on-top position or have him enter you from behind for the most efficient deposits. Apparently holding your legs in the air with your hips on a pillow for about a half an hour after sex also helps – but you can make a decision on that one for yourself!
· Take prenatal vitamins. Vitamins will give your body what it requires to optimize your baby making equipment. Also, when you do conceive you can be positive that you will have given your little one the best start possible because of the extra folic acid and all that.
· Have more sex.
· Eat healthily If you’re trying for a baby then you want to watch your weight. If you’re obese your estrogen levels will be too high and if you’re too skinny your body might stop ovulating. So what better reason to get going on that food plan you’ve been meaning to try!
· Have even more sex.
· Exercise. People don’t know what a strain it can be on the body to grow and carry that little one for 40 weeks. It’s best to get fit beforehand. Just don’t work-out too much because then your body might stop ovulating.
· Avoid toxins. Alcohol, caffeine and smoking are all bad news when you are trying for a baby. Cutting out these substances now is good preparation for the pregnancy. Some medications also reduce fertility, or can affect your unborn baby so confirm with your doctor if you’re on any chronic medication.
· Stay away from briefs. You want to keep things cool around the jewels to increase your sperm count. Heat damages sperm so make sure you take frequent breaks if you sit at a desk all day.
· Relax! In spite of the fact that we keep hearing differing ideas about the links between stress and infertility, we all can see that stress strains your system and can cause depression – neither of which is good news for fertility!
It undoubtedly won’t do any harm to test some of these ways to increase your fertility naturally. Even if you do need medical support to get pregnant, if you put these ideas into practice you’ll enjoy a healthier pregnancy, a healthier baby and a healthier life – that sounds like a win, win, win situation to me!
by Tom Thornton